Monday, March 11, 2013

Travels With My Aunt by Graham Greene

Review from Timely and Timeless Book Club meeting on March 5, 2013

Once again we had an interesting discussion. Graham Greene's book, Travels With My Aunt was definitely not a favorite of the group. We had four ratings from the ones who finished the book. Two 3's, one 2 and a 1. The free spirit of Aunt Augusta seemed a bit reckless and irresponsible, not to mention that her activities were illegal at times. But given that she was an older woman who was totally contrived, I got a good chuckle out of her antics. Her choices would NOT have been my choices, but I appreciated the character's humor and free spirit. And Henry and his dahlias...

If you read this book and were not at the meeting, it would be fun to hear your observations. (I'll adjust our Richter scale of rating if you care to chime in [you can post a comment below]...)

I'm hoping this bit of weather is the last hurrah of winter's snow and ice, and that our meeting in three weeks will bring us all out into the world again.

COMING UP:

March 26th - Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger at the China Buffet at Noon

There are several copies available in the Hold area by the check-out desk at the Library

This classic is bound to create some insightful comments at our meeting. This novel was published in 1951. It has over a million ratings on "Good Reads."

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5107.The_Catcher_in_the_Rye

Here are some memorable Holden Caulfield quotes:

“I like it when somebody gets excited about something. It's nice.”

“I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it.”

“People never notice anything.”

“This is a people shooting hat," I said. "I shoot people in this hat.” (the iconic line that identifies this book.)

April 23rd - The Far Pavillions by M. M. Kaye - location to be determined.

This book got a 4.14 out of 5 rating on almost 14,000 reader responses on "Good Reads." Moving forward in time a good 24 years or more from our last three books, this one was published in 1993.

The synopsis of the story is:

After the death of his parents, young Ashton Pelham-Martyn is brought up as a Hindu in a remote corner of British India. As an adult soldier he returns to India, where his love for a princess and his dual heritage make for an epic story of adventure and romance.

I hope all is good with you and that we'll see you on the 26th.

--Susan

No comments: